Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Random thoughts about running...

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is tired in the morning, afternoon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

-George S. Patton U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

The past few months I have been training for the Salt Lake City Capitol Half Marathon. I've done two others before but that was back before I had kids and had all the time in the world to run. It's been a little more difficult this time around trying to find the time and getting all my runs in. Good thing I have an amazing husband who is willing to watch the kids while I leave to run. Will I be ready to run 13.1 miles on May 31st? Well I ask myself this question just about everyday... On my good run days I think ya for sure..but on my bad run days I think there is no way! So lets just hope this race falls on one of my good run days.

As I think back to my two previous races I remember finishing them and each one I told myself.."Never again.." Well here I am again. I have one person to thank for this, my good friend Shellie. She loves to run as well and when we first met we talked a lot about running and races we've done. I told her I've done a couple in the past and the next thing I knew I was signed up again. Yes I do love to run, I am pretty good at it I guess...but 13.1 miles is long. So why am I doing it again? I've tried to figure this question out and the best reason I came up with is because I can. I am physically capable of running 13.1 miles so why not? There are so many people who can't run because of physical illnesses or whatever it might be. I feel so blessed to be able to just go run, and not have anything hold me back.

What I have come to realize during the course of this training and running in the crazy Wyoming wind and cold is that if you set your mind to it you can do it. That's why I love the quote I posted at the very beginning. The mind is such a powerful tool and when used properly so much good can come. There's been many of days when I'm tired and don't feel like pushing myself to the end. I like to think about the little fish Dori from Finding Nemo, she says it best.."Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.." I re-phrase it to "just keep running" (ya pretty nerdy I know) if I keep telling myself this and know that I can do it, then I can. There's nothing we can't do if we really set our mind to it.

So for now I will say thank you to my friends Shellie who has gotten me back into running. At mile 12 in my race I may have other words to say. But for now I am totally enjoying myself. I feel great and even though it's still hard to make myself get out the door for my run I love every minute of it when I do.

4 comments:

Lucashell said...

Oh your an amazing runner... Some people are born fast and that is u.. A talent I wish I had.. No matter how man races I have done or will do I struggle to have half your speed.. I am what u call a lazy runner.. Lol no u will do great I will be there standing at the finish line waiting for u after I ate pancakes...

Bill said...

You continue to amaze me and make me proud. There was a day not too long ago that I would have given anything to hear you say those things and now it is here! I love you and you are right...you can do anything!
Mom

Em said...

I love it now when I think of or see you run I will know what you are thinking about "just keep running" too funny. Also you said you weren't a nerd, this proves otherwise ;) j/K

Stephanie and Brett said...

Good luck Erin! I'm sure you will do great!